Saturday, May 26, 2007

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

Loving this weekend. Nothing planned. All free time.

Kids coming over tomorrow for a BBQ. Everyone bringing something and then we'll eat. Timothy and Larissa spending the night so that is a treat. Can't wait til Gina is old enough to stay too.

Can't forget why I have this fabulous weekend. War!

Living with a Vietnam vet makes the day even more meaningful. I know my vet thinks about his fallen friends and I know he still misses them. It's just in the last few years that he has opened up more about his fellow soldiers.

He visits the website for Vets and looks for familiar names.

His memories still play actively in his mind but have subsided some, since he's become a Christian. God has healed him of the daily stressful remembrances.

Triggers that can be big for him but have no meaning for us are: helicopters hovering overhead, loud planes above our house, trash bags left by CalTrans along the high way, the 4th of July fireworks make him nervous, loud backfire from a car if close enough can make him flinch. Never get close to his face and wake him up when he is sleeping. One may get a fist in the face.

This Memorial Day I will treat him special. I will thank him for his military service and how proud I am of him. I will ask him a question or two and maybe he'll tell me a story or change the subject. Whatever is easy for him.

God bless my Vet and God bless this good country.

MITZI

2 comments:

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Hope you had a good weekend. We went to a ceremony at the local cemetary. Very moving. Be sure to tell Frank that we appreciate and are grateful for his service to our country. It is not forgotten.

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

I've tagged you to do a meme- 8 Things About Me. Read my blog to see what it's all about. You don't have to do it if you don't want. Call or email me if you have questions.